Huntingdon College | Political Science
| Courses | What's
215 GoogOlympics, for PSC215,
Alabama | Virginia
Alabama Readings from Gdrive, and links
Religious controversies in
contemporary Southern politics
scene from Inherit the Wind, classic film of a stage play, dramatizing
Scopes trial of 1925 (10')
Ten commandments ordered away from front of Dixie County Courthouse,
Cross City FL, 2011
Judge Roy Moore:
As district judge in Etowah county, asserted right
and duty to display the Ten Commandments prominently and conduct
prayer in Gadsden courthouse; then elected Chief Justice, placed
commandments monument prominently in capitol rotunda, and defied
federal court order to move the monument. Prosecuted 2003 in Judicial
Inquiry Commission, for this public defiance of federal judge. Removed
from office; unsuccessful in subsequent run for Governor; spoke in our
class; but won election as Chief Justice a second time, 2012, then
stepped down a second time; ran for US Senate in December 2017 but
lost in an upset victory by a Democrat, Doug Jones. That's an unusual
Compilation of videos on Roy Moore, begins with WSFA report that ten
years later he asserts no remorse, says first amendment requires
you to acknowledge God, calls court order unlawful; cross
examination and campaign videos for and against, follow; he asserts
that First Amendment says you must acknowledge God, verdict given
Cross examined by AG Bill Pryor, 2003, before AL special court|
2012 secular Tv
Ad, 30", YouTube
Speaking at the 2012 Huntsville Life & Liberty Rally, 14',
The O'Reilly Factor, Fox News, on religion outside of
the South [humorous or pejorative journalism]:
Watters' World: Bar Harbor ME, Christmas
controversy (monument to WWII veterans), Fox News 3'31"
Watters' World: The Muslim Edition, Muslim convention, 4'54"
The Moore-Jones race, Dec. 2017, for
the US Senate from Alabama
- Lewis, Jeremy. 2017. "Notes for analysis on CTV-News Canada on
Alabama Senate race, Roy Moore-Doug Jones."
Jeremy Lewis, guest analyst on the Moore-Jones Alabama Senate
special election, on CTV News, Toronto, 3'68", 12/12/17
- Bethea, Charles. 2017. "Roy Moore's Law Professor Called Him Fruit
salad." New Yorker magazine, 10/26/17.
- Debendetti, Gabriel. 2017. "Secret super PAC backing Jones in
Alabama exposed." Politico Magazine, 12/11/17
- Martin, Jonathan. 2017. "Trump’s Big Gamble: Can He Pull Alabama
Senator to Victory?" New York Times, 9/23/17. [Townsend]
- Blanton, Dana. 2017. "Fox News Poll: Enthused Democrats give Jones
lead over Moore in Alabama." (with screenshots of polls). Fox News,
- Faith and Freedom Coalition. 2017. "Voter Guide, Alabama US Senate
race." (Brief table). [Green]
- Enten, Harry. 2017. "Doug Jones Is Just A Normal Polling Error
Away From A Win In Alabama." New York Times, 12/7/17.
- Eligon, John. 2017. "Democrats Draw Vivid Lesson From Alabama:
Mobilize Black Voters." New York Times, 12/14/17. [Lackey]
- Emerson College. 2017. "Emerson College Poll: Moore with
significant 9-point lead in final poll." Emerson college, 12/11/17.
- McCrary, Zac. 2017. What I’ll be Watching on Election Night in
Alabama." Montgomery, AL: ALG Research, 12/12/17.
- Blinder, Alan, Alexander Burns and Jonathan Martin. 2017. "Alabama
Senate Race, Unlikely Nail-Biter, Races to Finish Line." New
York Times, 12/11/17.
- Hohmann, James. 2017. "The Daily 202: Democrats struggling to
activate black voters in the Alabama Senate race." Washington
- "Alabama’s Senate race is too close to call: If Roy Moore beats
Doug Jones, Republicans will welcome a senator accused of preying on
teenage girls decades ago." The Economist, 12/11/17.
- Economist, 2017. "Doug Jones against the darkness: The Democrats
have a strong candidate for a Southern race they could actually
win." The Economist, 11/16/17.
Doug Jones for Senate videos
Coooper 360, Newly Resurfaced Comments from Roy Moore," CNN,
Bill Britt, of the Voice of Alabama Politics, Alabama Political
Reporter, expects Moore to win.
- Millie March,
a 12 year old from Virginia, interviews Roy Moore's campaign
Manager Rich Hobson and then Roy Moore himself. (Hobson,
platform: pro-Life; Border wall and security with military; strong
military; building economy, reducing taxes.) 1500 volunteers now,
many from out of state. Moore: stopping illegal immigrants;
religious liberty; remove tax on income for tax on consumption;
taxes hamper trade [he means domestic]. (Video, America First
Project, Paid for by Western Representation PAC, 2017)
- Ramsey Archibald, Counties
to Watch on Election Night (video, Reckon, AL.com 3')
Alabamians in the Trump
Civil rights and liberties
- Economist, 2017. Apuzzo, Matt, and Michael S. Schmidt. 2018.
"Trump Judicial Pick Did Not Disclose He Is Married to a White
House Lawyer." New York Times, 11/13/17.
- Phillips, Kristine. 2017. "The judicial nominee who’s never
tried a case is also married to a Trump administration lawyer." Washington
- Cooper, Matt. 2016. "When Jeff Sessions calls, Donald Trump
Listens." Newsweek, 6/22/16.
Mueller Time, humorous video (2') of FBI arresting some Trump
The AL justice system
- Philipps, Dave. 2016. "Secrets, Denial, and, Decades Later, a
Medal of Honor for a Vietnam Medic." New York Times,
- Webb, Hehn. 2018. "Meet the Glasscos: Lesbian Foster Parents in
the Bible Belt." Scalawag magazine, Jan 2018.
Public administration in Alabama
- Kovaleski, Serge F. 2017. "Justice Delayed: 10 Years in Jail,
but Still Awaiting Trial." New York Times, 9/19/17.
- Liptak, Adam. 2017. "Supreme Court Rejects Alabama Death Row
Inmate’s Appeal." New York Times, 2/21/17.
- Bogdanich, Walt and Grace Ashford. 2017. "An Alabama Sheriff, a
Mystery Check and a Blogger Who Cried Foul." New York Times,
- Levine, Art. 2017. "The Harrowing Story of Life inside Alabama's
Most Sadistic Christian Boot Camp." Newsweek, 3/10/17.
Governor Bentley, the "Love Gov"
- ASCE. 2017. "Report card for Alabama's infrastructure, 2015."
American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Alabama-Korea Connect, 2017. "Alabama's trade in goods and
services with Korea."
- Martin, Virginia. 2016. "Alabama gets a D+ grade in 2015 State
integrity investigation: a string of corruption trials is nothing
new." Center for Public Integrity, 11/9/16.
- Zingale, Jason. 2016. "The Alabama Governor, The Mistress, and
the Sex Scandal That's Blowing Up a State." GQ magazine,
- Gore, Leada. 2017. "Gov. Bentley opened door of DC hotel in
underwear expecting Rebekah Mason." Al.com, 4/7/17.
- Archibald, John. 2016. "What does Robert Bentley have left to
hide? Evidently something." AL.com, 07/27/16
- Sheets, Connor. 2016. Robert Bentley's office refuses to release
governor's schedule, calendar records." AL.com, 7/26/16.
- Gore, Leada. 2016. "13 new revelations from GQ's salacious
article on Gov. Robert Bentley and Rebekah Caldwell Mason."
- Zengerle, Jason. 2016. "The Love Song of Robert Bentley,
Alabama’s Horndog Governor." AL.com, 6/22/16.
- Moon, Josh. 2016. "Opinion: Alabama does not deserve better than
Gov. Bentley." Montgomery Advertiser, 3/30/16.
place to live in Virginia
Teams of real estate agents will sell a city based on a 2-bedroom
property available under $300,000; with criteria of balanced politics,
educational, cultural and recreational attractions; city center; parks;
proximity to beach; access to Washington DC via public transport;
safety; and quality of life.
- Roanoke [Daniel, Ysalgue, Lane]
- Blacksburg and Radford [Pearson, Harding, Fuller]
- Richmond [Townsend, Meadows, McClinton]
- Alexandria [Vise, Fuentes, Green, DeFleron, Lackey]
- Virginia Beach [Carson, Lawrence, Sullivan]
Revised 3/1/18 by Jeremy Lewis