College | Political Science | Courses
| What's New?
309: Terrorism & Developing
Countries, PSC309 GoogOlympics
revised 08/24/19 with events from
309Timetable, by Jeremy Lewis
Event: Executive response to the 9/11 Attacks
GoogOlympics Event: the clash
of civilizations thesis
GoogOlympics Event: Muslim
attitudes abroad to the US
Pew global attitudes survey, July 2005, attitudes to Islamist
and summary by Dr. Lewis]
- How do nations support or
oppose Islamist terrorism?
- Should the Bush
administration have assuaged world opinion?
- Has the Bush
administration's war in Iraq been counter-productive?
Exploring Capitalism and Socialism
Comparison of capitalist, Social Dem. and communist countries, using CIA
Branko Milanovic (2011) The
Haves and Have-Nots (Basic Books, highly recommended) [PPT]
- How can we compare countries
by income per head: rich, middle income and poor?
- How can we compare the
inequality among these countries by individuals, provinces and nation
- Has global equality since the
industrial revolution increased or decreased?
- Which types are richer
(higher per capita income at PPP)? [Reporter]
- India is a large, capitalist
country and China a large, officially 'communist' country: compare
GoogOlympics event: What sources of good,
comparative data are available online?
How can we compare income, population trends, health
issues, or spending on public programs?
GoogOlympics event: Exploring
the Islamic State
GoogOlympics event: Comparing
the issues faced in the twenty first century in China, India, Mexico
How can political development
be reconciled with tolerance, change of governing party, reducing
corruption, and liberal democracy?
- Can the Chinese CP accept
competition in the provinces, if not in Beijing?
- Can the new technocratic
powers within the CP maintain control over the ideological forces of
- Can the Indian Congress (I)
party accept the transition to the BJP (Hindutva party), and can the
BJP government tolerate the large Muslim minority?
- In Mexico, can the reformist
PAN replace the corrupt PRI while governing effectively?
- Can the PAN or PRI government control the disruptive violence of
narcos (drug gangs) across the country?
- In Turkey, can the AK
(Muslim) party govern effectively upholding democracy and tolerance of
- In China, India, Mexico and
Turkey, can governance be effective while reducing corruption?
GoogOlympics event: Corruption and freedom, world
GoogOlympics Event: Programs
- What are international organizations doing to emancipate and develop
women globally? Google Form
Clinton Global Initiative
Global Fund for Women
Oxfam programs for women and girls (The Oxford undergraduate committee
for famine relief)
United Nations: UNwomen.org
UNESCO's theme of gender equality
Fourth World Conference on Women, Beijing, 1995
- Report [PDF]: Beijing20.unwomen.org
- Hillary Clinton's address on YouTube/Clinton Library
GoogOlympics event: Climate Change
COP 21: United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015 [G form]
2018 US Climate Change Report and President Trump's Response
- How strong is the evidence for climate change?
- What types of evidence are available on the issue?
- How many scientific disciplines and nation states contributed to the
- What changes in public policy are called for from the reports?